!! “AI” is only going to make convincing conning and cleverness more prevalent. Act now.
* NEVER call or contact any number that shows up in a web page even after a Search,
* NEVER call or contact any name number or Email that shows up in an Email
It may APPEAR to be legit- From Amazon, BofA etc. Use the contacts you personally know to reach back, not the one they give you
* Files should NO LONGER be attached to Emails unless they are visible Inline. Click Nothing
* Other Files should be shared over Google Drive, DropBox etc. or, Hey hand over a thumb drive
* HANG UP on unscheduled calls. Ignore Caller ID even if it says IRS or FBI
* NEVER use any purchasable/irrevocable payment method like GreenDot, SmartPay,
WesternUnions etc. NEVER
* NEVER send or hand over cash to someone you don’t actually “know”
* DO Show Share and Tell friends and family about even innocuous communications,
ESPECIALLY when told NOT to do so. There will be Great Reasons: But, Scammers Lie. (duh!)
* Box pops up with Dire Warning to Call Microsoft NOW or “You Have a Virus”?
Can’t seem to close window?
PUSH THE POWER BUTTON. Start Up Again, Gone? Good. No? Power Down. Call IT, friends, family.
* Do NOTHING on your machine a stranger has told you to do. Hang up Now.
* IGNORE glib rebuttals and fine stories. Your family member calling you in an emergency?
collect Details and CALL BACK people you know personally &
trust about it. Oh & NEVER Give out your name
* Stick to Apps on your Smartphone for Banking, not web pages
* ONLY use Chrome and Safari. Maybe even Edge.
Nothing else is updated frequently enough to avoid those “YOu Have A Virus” windows which scammers exploit to pop up pages that do not LOOK like web pages and which cannot be closed
* Remove your own name and voice from Voicemail
If you don’t, random Spam callers can learn your voice and name. Use AI to generate the greeting or resort to the default generic greeting
* Randomize and Lie on sites that seem to require it- I switch genres, home town, birthdays, gender- everything really. Just as with Freedom of Speech there is no law against lying- Cammers OR you.
* Use throwaway Email address. Use a real name in it– just NOT yours. I use anagrams
* I keep a free Google Voice / TXT Number for Verification etc, NOT my main number